TDTW provided the materials for and supervised the restoration of a hand-hewn 1840’s barn that was a site on the Underground Railroad. Built 1 staircase.
Trillium Dell Timberworks dismantled, restored, and re-erected this c. 1870 barn multipurpose barn onto a new bank foundation at a new location. The barn was an early “scientific barn”, one which was influenced primarily by emerging agricultural technologies of the day. Indeed, the first owner of this barn, a Connecticut native and whaler, assumed a post at University of Illinois’ newly formed agricultural extension soon after establishing his new homestead in Illinois.
TDTW restored the north wall of this 1890’s barn. The barn was 117’ long, 25’ to the eave, and 48’ to the ridge. The entire wall was rebuilt using traditional timber framing methods. Prior to raising the wall, all damaged portions of the upper and lower tie beams were replaced. Twenty-eight scarf joints joined the existing frame to the new timbers. No metal fasteners or epoxy repairs were used in the restoration. After raising the wall, rafters, purlins and siding were installed. This job required extensive scaffolding (9 towers, 7 sections high) and crane use. It is considered one of the largest restorations of a timber frame structure done in-situ in North America using traditional techniques.
This 1880s hay barn had severe sill damage, as well as damaged girts where the lean-to addition joined the original barn. Additionally, the lean-to addition, which was a poorly constructed stick-built addition, was on the brink of collapse. After the owners tore down the existing lean-to, TDTW lifted most of the barn, removed and replaced damaged sills with new white oak sills, and selectively replaced damaged posts and girts. In addition, two sides of the rubble stone foundation were relaid and tuckpointed. Wanting to use the lean-to space for a horse barn, the owners elected to have TDTW design and build a timber-frame lean-to to the dimensions of the original lean-to. Square rule joinery was used to match the existing timber frame, and southern yellow pine was a near match to the original pine.
TDTW dismantled, restored, and re-erected this 1880s four bay bank barn originally used as a threshing barn in the upper floor, and a livestock barn in the basement. During this project, TDTW offered hewing and other workshops illustrating traditional carpentry techniques for the Collinsville area community, as well as worked with volunteers to generate longterm community interest. This barn was partially raised by hand using community volunteers and traditional barn-raising techniques.
This 60’ wide x 87’long x 53’ high Beef Barn was a landmark of the University of Illinois since 1917. When the University of Illinois decided to develop this portion of their agricultural campus, the Piatt County Museum approached TDTW to dismantle and re-erect this plank framed barn. This plank framed barn employs an Open Center Wing Joist perfected by Joseph E. Wing in the 1880s, and designed for optimal hay storage in the large, gambrel-roofed mow.
This pre-Civil War hewn white oak timber-frame barn, measuring 36’ x 85’ with 12’ sidewalls, boasts 52’ long purlin plates. Despite nearly 70% damage, the historical significance of this early, multi-purpose barn prompted the Collinsville Area Recreation District (“CARD”) to accept this donated barn and preserve it on its Willoughby Farm campus located on the bluffs above the Mississippi River.