Commercial Project Gallery
TDTW designed, cut and installed a 20 foot wide by 20 foot long by 16 foot tall bell tower and a 16 foot tall octagonal cupola to support the dome on the Old Capitol Building. We utilized select structural white oak timbers for this project. These two structures were built with heavy timbers and hidden steel knife plates. The bell tower was lifted to a height of 80 feet and the cupola rested atop the bell tower. This project required extensive use of tension rods and metal connectors.
Triple hung sash window, replaced 40% of sash, and restored 60%. Restored 100% of sills. Installed ¼” tempered glass in all openings. Primed & painted interior & exterior surfaces; custom built & restored several doors including 8’ wide x 16’ tall trolley door.
TDTW restored many of the original windows on the Pulaski County Courthouse in Mound City, a city rich in Civil War history. Original species and joinery were matched, and new sashes were replicated where deterioration precluded restoration. All sash cords were replaced with bronze sash cords, rendering both upper and lower sashes operational. Additionally, concealed weather stripping was kerfed into the sashes, and storm windows approved by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency were installed to achieve modern standards of thermal efficiency.
60% sash replacement, 40% sash restoration, all exterior painting, 10% jamb replacement, 90% jamb restoration, 20% of sills restored. Pine windows, replaced all 1/8” glass with ¼” safety glass on top 5 stories of historic downtown buildings.
100% replication of 13 storefront units, reclaimed wood used to build all jambs. Replicated two historic storefront doors, duplicated trim and fabricated, supplied & installed all cast iron detail work around doors & windows.
Beecher Hall on the campus of Illinois College in Jacksonville, Illinois is the oldest college building in Illinois. TDTW consulted with Illinois College on the timber framed roof system and original built-in gutters that were part of this brick building. TDTW later served as general contractors to restore the roof. It also restored the failing soffits, employing OSHA-approved methods of working with existing lead-based paint while the building remained in use.
We restored the kingpost roof truss system of this courthouse, which is the oldest courthouse in continuous operation in the state of Illinois. Due to a flaw in the original design of the trusses (caused by missing struts), the top and bottom cords of these trusses had started to fail after over 100 years of use. TDTW restored the trusses in situ without interrupting the operation of the courthouse below.
TDTW repaired three (3) failed forty-two (42) foot clear span heavy timber trusses as part of a restoration of an 1890’s downtown brick building. The trusses had extensive fire and water damage. Seventy-five percent of the wood in the trusses had to be replaced. Many of the original mechanical fasteners had failed and were replaced with new fasteners. This project also entailed installation of heavy timber and I-beam supports throughout the building to ensure proper structural integrity. Built 1 staircase.
The Illinois Yearly Meeting House, located just outside of McNabb, Illinois, is a 40’x 80’ heavy-timber Meetinghouse built in 1875. It had suffered extensive termite damage to the floor and wall systems, placing eccentric loads upon the roof trusses. We first stabilized the roof trusses with custom-fabricated bottom cord brackets, turnbuckles and aircraft cable. We then lifted the structure, which had sunk up to 6”, and restored the limestone foundation wall beneath.
Silos and Smokestacks National Heritage Area hired TDTW to assess flood-related damage to three Iowa Grist Mills. TDTW subsequently worked closely with the Buchanan County Historical Society, Owner of the Wapsipinicon Mill, and F.E.M.A.. This collaborative effort resulted in the successful granting of both remediation and mitigation funding from F.E.M.A. Over the years, the structural integrity of the meal floor system had been disrupted, allowing original historic timbers to float down the river during each flood of the Wapsipinicon River. TDTW was recently hired to remove all the non-historic fabric, and to re-establish the structural integrity of the original timber floor system. New timbers and flooring will be white oak, which was the original species used in the meal floor due to its rot resistance. The project is expected to be complete in the next couple months.
TDTW restored a bell tower and steeple on a church that was built in the 1880’s. This was the first Danish Lutheran Church in America.
TDTW restored damaged louvers and columns, as well as restored the interior framing of the belfry at the United Church of Christ.
TDTW replaced damaged members of the steeple which was in structural failure after suffering water damage. Replacement parts were made of southern yellow pine. Like much steeple work, proper scaffolding and access of materials plays a critical role in job efficiency. Scaffolding is typically used for all participating trades to avoid cost redundancy.